Monday, May 2, 2011

Goals for Peru

So today's my first day of work, and Laura and I got a text message from Eliza saying that we shouldn't come in until ten. Rough life, right? I decided to take the extra time to list my goals for Peru. I promised them, and here they are!

-To kiss a Peruvian! This is moving further and further down on the priority totem pole. Reasons include: my blondness, which has already made me a significant target for catcalls and comments (yesterday, these three youngish guys were sitting together on a bench, and as I walked by, they threw something in my direction. I looked at the ground and saw that it was a heart-shaped silver charm thing. Obviously it stole my heart and I’m now engaged to one of them.....not!). Also, there is actually a Peruvian term used to describe men—or women—seeking to find an international spouse in order to be able to leave Peru. They’re called “bricheros” or “bricheras,” and I’m pretty sure delgadito, my fellow Panama bumpee, was a brichero, since he asked me to marry him after an acquaintance of about 12 hours. I mean really, the goal just seems too easy. Is a goal really a goal if I can achieve it simply by giving just about any Peruvian man the okay? I think not. So while this still may occur, I’m thinking that it’s unlikely, unless I find a good, church-going boy who respects his elders and the ladies. :-)

-To reach a point of Spanish fluency whereby I can hold a conversation with someone and only make the “smiling but confused” face once, if at all

-To learn to cook a Peruvian dish (once I find one that I like)

-To become a “regular” at one of the churches here, and perhaps join a young adult group if such a thing exists

-To find a way to exercise once walking no longer tires me out. (Disclaimer: This may never happen, as walking might never stop tiring me out. But if it does, I have learned that there is a public pool near the PW office, and I may make use of that.)

-To hike a huge number of Adirondack peaks upon my return from Peru in order to take full advantage of my altitude “training.” Might as well start making my way to 46er status when the gettin’ is good!

-To yodel in the Andes mountains (I will attempt to have this recorded for y’all)

-To blog regularly, and to keep my blog engaging and thought-provoking (I will only know if I am successful in this endeavor if you tell me when I’m not. Am I boring you right now? Am I? Am I???)

-To walk through these three months mindfully, breathing in the full experience of “being.” Being in a unique culture. Being in a city surrounded by clear evidence of God’s creative hand. Being with other human beings.

-To eat ceviche, drink a pisco sour, and…I suppose…try guinea pig…since it’s the national dish and everything…but I say it sounds narstay.

-To see Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca and the Sacred Valley

So those are my goals for the time being. If anyone would like to suggest an add-on or two, feel free!

Lots of love from Peru to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment