Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Moment's Peace

Just wanted to interrupt this workday to say that God is good. I woke up pretty tired this morning after yesterday's 14-hour run of various shenanigans, but I got into the office and got a few things done and then went to lunch with the students who are finishing up their semester at the Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola. We went to this super delicious sandwich place called Juanito's, where I ate the first thing that I can legitimately describe as DELICIOUS in Peru! It was a sandwich called the "Cuzqueno con pollo," and consisted of a thick ciabatta-style roll with lettuce and tomato, herb-seasoned chicken, and two tamales (basically little pieces of spicy-ish corn bread). Delish.

After lunch everyone was sitting and chatting about the past semester, and since I hadn't been there for most of that time, my mind began to wander...and I began to think about the fact that I am going to be here for quite a good while, and for the most part without my family and friends from home, and with significant likelihood of getting sick at least once from some sort of flesh-eating bacteria or other. The thoughts started making me feel slightly woozy and dizzy, and I walked back to the office in a bit of a daze. But once I got back and sat at my desk, I was able to take a few deep breaths and to return to the present moment. I don't know whether it's just me or if many people fall prey to the tendency, but I find it so easy to dwell on the future and all of its possibilities, in a way that can be extremely negative (like the experience I just described) or extremely positive (like my Prince Charming who perfectly complements me 100% of the time...?). I think that in doing all this futuristic dwelling and pondering, regardless of whether it's positive or negative, can be harmful to our appreciation of the present.

So I have decided to share with you a moment of the present--the moment of peace that I am experiencing right now. I am sitting in my office by myself, and there is just enough of a breeze to rustle the long, white curtain hanging from the window across from my desk. Outside my window, the sun is shining, and beaming on an intricate, hidden window in the next building over, causing the etched flowers in the window panes to share the warmest yellow of yellow glows. It's beautiful, and as I quietly sit and drink in the lovely, worshipful music coming from my headphones, I feel, for the moment, safe and at peace.

Sadly, it's not easy for me to live in appreciation of the present, but I would like to use Cusco as a big, giant stage on which I can practice living mindfully each day, and even in the little minutes of each day, as I remember to do so. And for those moments when I fail, I will forgive myself and try again. And for all of those idealistic Prince Charming-type expectations I build up in my head...I think I should probably consider exchanging them for the equally beautiful and non-idealistic state that some would call "reality." Quite the notion.

Perhaps most importantly, I will try to keep remembering the one idealistic expectation that will never let me down. (Y'all know who I'm talking about!) After all, He's the one who said, "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Oh so very true. I am glad for this day, and I will breathe it in and smell it and taste it and love it the best I can.

I hope you'll do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment