Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Manana los Hermanos!

Hola, friends!

Guess what?! My apartment is freezing, my stomach hurts a little, and I have to do manual labor this Saturday for ProWorld, but none of this seems quite so frustrating because my BROTHERS arrive tomorrow morning! Andrew and Brian in Peru--wahoooo! Right now, I think they're probably either in Panama City's airport or en route to Lima, and then they have a pleasant night in the Lima airport before they fly on up 10,000 feet to Cusco!!! I will be smiling and waving from the gate at 7 AM when they arrive! So far, I'm planning on letting them rest a bit tomorrow morning and then taking them to lunch at good old Victor/Victoria! Then we'll do some Cusco exploring! On Friday and Saturday, I'm volunteering with Lalo and some students from the University of Missouri. I plan on bringing my brothers along on Saturday, and maybe Friday too if they're not too pooped from the traveling! Then maybe a day trip to the town of Pisac on Sunday to go to Quechua mass and shop around the Pisac market! On Monday, I'm booking the boys for an all-day trip to Machu Picchu while I assist in getting all of the newly-arrived intern and semester students off to their respective placement locations. As far as what else the boys and I will do, I'm waiting to see what they find most awesome, and then we'll go from there!

On an entirely different note, here's the latest update on Helmud. The short story: we're not meant to be man and wife. Too many ideological differences. The longer version: That said, I've still spent three of the last four evenings with him, and will be seeing him again tonight. I am beginning to grow concerned about how to take our friendship down a notch or two so that we aren't spending every night together. The problemo is that we live a mere block from each other, so unless I have a legitimate excuse as to why I can't meet up on a given night, he could easily walk on over to my apartment and find me very happily reading a book, which, at this point, I would sort of prefer. Argh. I have moved from one frustrating extreme (true love...ha) to the other (true need for personal space!).

And on a third and again entirely different, note, Laura and I are FREEZING in our apartment. Thankfully, we have figured out the trick to the hot shower. Without this small victory, I'm pretty sure we'd both have varying degrees of hypothermia and/or frostbite right now. I try not to be a complainer, but it really is almost intriguing how different it feels outside the entrance to our apartment and upon walking inside. I used to think that if I had to choose between death by hypothermia or heat stroke (yeah, I was a bit of a freak), I'd toootally go the hypothermia route, but the closer I get to that point, the more I wonder if perhaps passing out in the sun might be a better alternative. I just can't decide. (Hopefully, I'll never have to!)

And my final irrelevant statement: I have found somewhat of a solution to my internet-less home. I joined a little website called movieberry.com that allows me to purchase movie downloads for a very small price and then, once they're downloaded, watch them without the need for a wireless connection. I just purchased "The King's Speech" and "Of Gods and Men," and I am excited for some mindless entertainment to enjoy now that I'm almost finished reading Better. I've also been thinking lately about the fact that I really want to be more deliberate and active in my reading of the Bible, which I've tended to put by the wayside of late. It's very easy for me to put God Himself on the back burner when things are going swell, and then to reach out for Him desperately when things aren't as great. In The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren delivers the memorable line, "You never know that God is all you need until God is all you've got." While that strikes me as very true, I would like to adopt an attitude of greater consistency, and to acknowledge that God loves me and wants to be a part of my life as much during my failures and low points as during my joys and successes. It'll probably be an uphill journey, but being as high up as Cusco has given me a nice little head start! :-)

Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment